Friday, August 29, 2008

The Deep Magic

Has this line ever aroused your curiousity? When Aslan says that line, something inside me jumps. I came across a verse in the Bible that I think is directly related to this line and I believe it might have been the source of Lewis' inspiration.

The verse is...

1 Corinthians 2:7-8

No, we speak of God's "secret wisdom"(the "Deep Magic"), a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it(The White Witch), for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of Glory (Jesus/Aslan).

Aslan knew what the deep magic was...he was there when it was written (like Jesus). The Witch didnt understand what Aslan was doing or else she wouldnt have killed him on the stone table.

I think you get my point. I just thought it was amazing and it was great to see such a passage in the Bible. Believe it or not. In my opinion it Narnia is very relatable to the Bible.


Something else that caught my eye was the condition of the natural world of Narnia and the condition of our natural world. Narnia was under a spell. It was always winter. The natural cycle of weather was stopped as a result of the Jadis being in power. Many things in our own world have changed as a result of Lucifer's fall and his reign on earth.

Again. The point is easily seen but I thought it was neat!

Jordan Keckler

No comments: