Thursday, September 18, 2008

Avoidable?

Even though the last couple of posts were in reference to the articles we have been reading, I'm going to revert back to The Last Battle. There is an issue in this book that I have been pondering for a while now.

This was the first time I have ever read The Last Battle. I had only made it through the first chapter when I could read no further - I was so disgusted that I had to put the book down and go do something else.

My problem with the first chapter can be summed up in one word, or, rather, one character: Puzzle. Now, I understand that there are a few factors that I cannot take into account simply because Lewis does not supply them; one of these being how long Puzzle & Shift have been "friends." And I realize that charisma and guilt trips on the part of Shift could have a lot to do with Puzzle's behavior (besides that fact that Puzzle doesn't seem too keen). But my first thought after reading the first chapter of The Last Battle was that the entire "battle" could have been avoided if Puzzle had simply listened to his conscience and stood up for himself.

There are two passages in The Last Battle that mention Puzzle's uneasiness with the whole idea. "No, no, no," said Puzzle. "Don't say such dreadful things. It would be wrong, Shift. I may not be very clever but I know that much. What would become of us if the real Aslan turned up?" At this point, if Puzzle had just stood his ground and refused to be used for Shift's agenda, this whole "last battle" would never have occurred and Narnia could have remained in peace.

"There!" gasped Puzzle, as soon as he had breath to speak. "It's a sign, a warning. I knew we were doing something dreadfully wicked. Take this wretched skin off me at once." But once again, after a few smooth words from Shift, Puzzle gives in and goes along with the plan.

So this is my question: if Puzzle had simply denied Shift the right to control him and use him for his agenda, would Narnia have continued to exist peacefully? Or, (and this is a whole other topic really) was the battle going to happen anyway and even if Puzzle had stood up for himself, Narnia would still come to an end? Was there a greater force directing the events in this chapter? (Fate/destiny?) What do you think?

1 comment:

Jack Attack said...

Actually, the whole time I was reading the first part of you post, I couldn't help thinking, "But it HAD to happen! If Puzzle had stood up for himself, Aslan would've found ANOTHER way to usher in the New Narnia!" But of course, you touched on that by the end of your post. And, as you can see, I believe that yes, the destruction of Narnia WAS unavoidable, as is the destruction of our own world someday...