Friday, September 19, 2008

I DONT KNOW!

Every day, I try to wrap my mind a little further around the topic of believing what you want to. We have had endless class discussions about whether or not you can truly make yourself believe something that has happened or if what your eyes are seeing is really there. This morning in Intro. to Lit. Study, Westerholm read the passage in Isaiah 6:8 that says, “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’” He was reading it and mentioned that many times people stop right there, because what comes next might erk some. I admit, the statement is strong and I have a hard time listening to it. Verse nine goes on to say, “Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.” Wow. Jesus is could be standing in front of these people, telling them everything they would ever need to hear, and they do not get it! Back to Narnia, Lucy is telling her siblings plain as day what happened and yet they cannot believe her. Are our minds capable of believing what we see and hear? Can we comprehend and decipher what we see? I think at some point what we want to believe crosses a line and moves toward what we are capable of believing. I am totally just throwing this out there for some insight. Like colorblind people. No offense to you impaired people out there, but obviously they are not capable of deciphering the difference between blue and green. I know our minds are limited and maybe what we want to believe is another one of those limits. I’ll leave you with the thought that God did not intend for us to discover everything, comprehend everything, and possibly believe everything. Please fill me in on what you think. I need all the help I can get with this one..

No comments: