Thursday, September 18, 2008

Your True Self

As I was reading the article for tomorrow (The Rings of Tolkien and Plato), I was inspired by the idea that by grasping one's true self a person is emboldened to defeat (refuse) temptation. The article talks about Sam as being able to resist the temptation of the Ring because he knew who he was and was content with his place in life. "Tolkien explains that two things keep Sam safe from the seductive power of the Ring: his love for Frodo and his own sense of self" (Katz, 18) (emphasis added). Sam is content to be a gardener with a little house and a happy life. He knows what he wants and who he is. He knows that the temptation he faces is not something he truly desires.

This reminded me of an idea that I read in Lewis's Mere Christianity. Lewis says that one's true identity is found in Christ. Who we are before Christ is a product of fear and slavery to sin: Once we are free in Christ we are free to be who we truly are. As Christians, we are not all called to be the same but to be the unique, beautiful, free person that He intended us to be. Free from doubt, fear, anxiety, anger, jealousy, discontent--absolutely free. (Please correct me if I'm mis-remembering Lewis.)

Lately I've been wracked with fear and anxiety about the future and my own true self. I was tempted to think that I'm less than who I am in Christ--like the Ring tempted Sam to be discontent with his place in life. God has shown me yet again that these thoughts are just that--temptations. Because I am a child of God and trusting Him with all my life, the lies of the enemy are not from a sub-conscious me--not who I am.

Know who you are in Christ and defeat temptation.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Chelsea -

I appreciated your post because, like you were, I am going through a time of anxiety about the future and doubt about my role. But God knows everything before it happens. So, until I find my "true self" I am leaning on God to direct my steps. Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability!

Emily