Thursday, September 18, 2008

Believing the Impossible

I have four beautiful baby nieces. Well, they're not really "babies" anymore, strictly speaking. They're 7 (almost 8), 5, 2, and just over 1. They're adorable. They're all from the same mother, so they play together every day and have a lot of the same games, stories, clothes, toys, imaginary friends and everything else little girls have. I play with them whenever I go home, and sometimes it gets a little crazy...

See, the oldest two (Lily and Gracie) have got the most in-SANE imaginations. They show me their dolls and stuffed animals and tell me stories about all the adventures they've been going on lately, all impossible of course. Sometimes we'll play "Telephone" and they'll just make up words! They've had all kinds of restaurants, banks, grocery stores, fashion shows, you name it. And they're always so detailed in their creations, even going so far as giving you "money" to invest or buy stuff with.

I'll get to the point: Do I still believe in the impossible? Countless times Lily has come running to me with the utmost urgency about some security breech in her bank, or a new game she just invented, and of course I go along with it, but I would never, NEVER actually believe that what she was talking about was real. Why? Because it's impossible of course!

My struggle now: How can I learn to believe in the impossible again while remaining down to earth?

No comments: