Thursday, September 18, 2008

Worthy?

My thoughts are based off of a short expert from, Religion and Rocketry, “This is the point non-Christians always seem to forget. They seem to think that the Incarnation implies some particular merit or excellence in humanity. But of course it implies just the reverse: a particular demerit and depravity. No creature that deserved Redemption would need to be redeemed. They that are whole need not the physician. Christ died for men precisely because men are not worth dying for; to make them worth it.” C.S. Lewis, pg.86

I was struck by this comment as I read this essay. Lewis talks about non-Christians forgetting that Christians are not ‘excellent’ but rather are deprived, yet I myself have been thinking about the concept of worth lately. I know that I am not worth anything and that only in Christ do I find my value. But now that I have been redeemed how do I live that out without coming off as “righteous” in a pious way. I am made in the image of Christ and purchased with his blood, so I hold worth. Yet, I am sinful and often fall short so I am worthless. How am I to come before the throne? I know this book is not an allegory but I look to Aslan and the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve to maybe find an idea. When the children first approach Aslan they are terrified yet in awe at the same time. Aslan does not treat them poorly or criticize or judge them for losing Edmund or any of their faults. He welcomes them. In all the accounts Aslan has with others from the “good side”, in the three Narnia books I’ve read, he never belittles them; he does rebuke and correct them but never with the sense that they are not worthy to walk in confidence. So my thoughts are that we are definitely not worthy yet we are to live HUMBLY as people who have been made worthy and who hold value in Christ.

No comments: