Monday, September 8, 2008

Problem Solved

Ok, so this isn't an official post, but I think I just figured something out:

"Aslan!" said Lucy almost a little reproachfully. "Don't make fun of me. As if anything I could do would make you visible!"
"It did," said Aslan. "Do you think I wouldn't obey my own rules?"

So there you have it. In Narnia, Aslan follows His own rules. Our world, however, is not Narnia. And Aslan is not Jesus. So I guess it doesn't solve anything for us, but in LWW, Aslan has to take Edmund's place because it follows His own rules.

2 comments:

randy jensen said...

Nice catch. I actually read that passage just ten minutes ago and meant to mention it tomorrow!

One quibble, and then a question. What Aslan says is that he *would* obey his own rules, not that he *must* follow them. Since one of the issues here is whether God can be obligated at all, that's an important difference.

Now the question: Are they Aslan's rules, or the rules of the Emperor beyond the sea? Don't we hear surprisingly little about this Emperor? He doesn't even appear at creation or at the end of all things. Any thoughts about this?

Amanda said...

I just read that passage last night, or this morning rather, and - thanks to my mental synapses - made the same connections. The same initial connections anyhow. I don't often come up with insightful questions.

I sometimes wonder about the Emperor, but only when I run across a reference, which doesn't happen all that often, and then I forget about him again. I wonder if we do that with God? Hmmm. Maybe I'm making too much of a stretch with that. I'm almost under the impression that the Emperor beyond the sea is added more for effect than it is for meaning. Does that suggest too much lack of intentionality on Lewis' part? Perhaps. But it seems to me that if the Emperor did have some great and significant meaning that he would show up a little more often.