Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Fall only happened after man sinned too...

In class, I asked a question: “Why is it significant that Lewis uses a male to initiate the evil struggle or intent.” I grappled with the possibilities, and, after some discussions with my classmate and my roommate, I discovered two possible answers to my question.
The first answer I derived from Lewis background. Lewis had little interaction with women in his life. His mother died while he was young, he went to an all boy boarding school, and he didn’t marry until later in his life. These factors probably greatly influenced Lewis’s writings because he doesn’t understand women the way different authors do. Thus, I’ve decided he used males to depict his evil tendencies, he gave Edmund and Digory character flaws that instigate the evil/problems, and it’s all because he understands how boys/men/males in general function.
The second thought I had came through conversation with my roommate. She made the statement: “Well, the fall didn’t happen until man sinned too.” I shuddered when I heard that; it was like a statement of truth so profound it was eerie, isolated above the rest. Maybe, unintentionally or not, Lewis used males as the cause of evil because the fall does not happen until man sins too. So the fall of the Narnian world only came about because Digory rang the bell in Charn, and Edmund caused chaos because he fell captive to trickery and deception. So, women may have sinned first, but the fall did not happen until man sinned. I just, shudder at that connection (and the very idea). So whether either of those ideas actually answer the question is beside the point. I picked up on a few important factors in Lewis’s writing that may or may not be intentional, but certainly influenced the outlook in the Narnian adventures.

3 comments:

rascal said...

I wonder what would have happened to man kind if Adam wouldn't have taken the apple. Would have God's blame only fallen on Eve? or would something else happen. Great Comment By the way.

Amanda said...

Though it's true that males get into their fair share of trouble in Narnia - Eustace, Edmund, Digory and Uncle Albert to name a few - I don't think you can go so far as to say that their doing so is a statement on gender roles and responsibilities. It is Susan, after all, whose personal desires lead to her abandonment of (or is that banishment from?) Narnia.

Ashley said...

dI'm not saying that Lewis made a statement about Gender Roles, nor am I making a bold statement about gender roles. I'm merely pointing out an interesting connection, intentional or not, that it is after man sinned that the world fell, and that after the men/males of Narnia did something "sinful" or dumb/chaotic whatever, then soon after trouble/destruction followed. Then it was up to that male to make amends-- such as it is Adam's job to tend the earth and pay for what he did. Women have their punishment, but so do men. It's just a connection, thoughts to ponder...not saying this is truth, this is what you MUST believe. Your post deviates from what my original post was trying to say.