Thursday, September 4, 2008

Narnia and the Seven Deadly Sins

Okay, so this really has nothing to do with all the other posts or anything we talked about in class, but I found it pretty interesting. I was reading some interviews and other articles online about C.S. Lewis and the Narnia series, trying to inspire an idea for my blog post, and I came across several articles linking the Narna books to the Seven Deadly Sins. I thought it was interesting, so I looked into it a little more. Many critics have proposed that each of the seven books contains themes of one of the sins, and in LWW specifically the sin of gluttony. Whether this is actually true or not is something we may never find out, but it made sense to me as I read through some explanations. Obviously, gluttony is a problem Edmund struggles with in this first book, from the first taste of the magic Turkish Delight, that is all he can think about even when he is not with the Witch. Lewis goes back to this theme over and over, in chapter 4 he writes "But he still wanted to taste that Turkish Delight more than he wanted anything else." And in chapter 9 he writes "He had eaten his share of the dinner, but he hadn't really enjoyed it because he was thinking all the time about Turkish Delight." This sin has obviously become a theme in this book, but do you think Lewis really made each book center around one of the Seven Deadly Sins? Is it more than just a coincidence that it is this way?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you link the article? I'm interested in the rest of the vice-book pairings.

betsydeglopper said...

Sure thing.

http://cslewis.drzeus.net/papers/7sins.html

This is the one that interested me the most, but even just googling the topic brings thousands of hits.

Unknown said...

I really like this thematic analysis. Dr. King is a perceptive man, and makes many compelling points.