Friday, September 5, 2008

Lucy's Story

Today in class I started thinking about how Lucy’s story of Narnia is a lot like our own gospel story. I don’t want to draw too many correlations and connect dots that are not meant to be there but, I feel that it would be hard not to resonate with Lucy’s feelings and frustrations about Narnia. Lucy’s journey to Narnia is unexpected, obscure, and completely out-of-this-world. I don’t believe that there would be away for Lucy to have described her experience in any sort of way that would have tempted the other’s to whole-heartily believe her. However, I also don’t believe that, after encountering Narnia, it would be possible for anyone not to share that experience.
Obviously, there are a lot of correlations with the gospel story that can be taken from that (the experience of Christ and the good news, sharing that, etc…) but, what struck me the most was the reactions of the others. Given Peter and Susan’s beliefs of their world, and the “truths” they know that exist around them, I think Lewis’ description of their reaction is very realistic. If Lucy’s siblings had unwittingly believed her and her tales of a far off land, especially after failing in their attempt to get their themselves, we would see them as irrational. Who, on our views of knowledge and reason, rationally believe such stories. Peter and Susan had no reason to believe Lucy; no obligation, no proof. There seems to be no reason for them to believe in Narnia. In fact, them not believing seems to be a rational belief in their circumstance.
This makes me wonder then, if it is rational for certain people in certain circumstances to not believe the story of the gospels. That the story may be true but, there are people who have foundational beliefs and knowledge that would not rationally support our interpretation of the gospel story. I think from here I could go on a long tangent about translating the gospel in ways that are relevant for other cultures but I will leave that be for now and end here.

No comments: