Saturday, November 29, 2008

God in the Great Divorce

When I think of heaven and hell my thoughts often are directed to God and Satan. Throughout the novel The Great Divorce readers are never introduced to a physical God character or a physical Devil. I think it is interesting that Lewis did this. We see glimpses of God through the spirits’ joy and their wisdom. They often mention God and each aspect of him is positive. I guess my first thought was: you can not write a book about heaven and hell and not include these two key leaders. Each new chapter I waited for some form of light or some deep voice, known as God to be introduced. But then I realized they are incredibly included, in fact they are what the book is filled with. I couldn’t help but thinking that the power moving the chess pieces represented God; that God is the one who anticipated the choices that would be made by different people (pg.144). We don’t meet God per say, yet how could Lewis explain God when he is so beyond our understanding. I think if he would have tried to physically explain God it would have taken away from the message of the book. The book is different than so many things I have been told about life after death, good different. Lewis does mention to the narrator through George Macdonald that what he has experienced is simply a dream and that he will not and should not try to fully explain or even comprehend what he heard and saw, because it is so much deeper. So I am glad the book is just the way it is. Yet I still wonder where in this ‘heaven’ God is; is He what the spirits are journeying into the mountains to see, or is he is journeying with them? And if Lewis would have introduced God as a character who looked a certain way and spoke, what would He have been like?

No comments: