Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wussy Iguana=Kick-Butt Stallion

Easily one of my favorite parts of The Great Divorce was when the man with the whispering iguana on his shoulder is transformed into a Bright One and a mighty Stallion, both of which are wonderfully Solid. But as much as I like it, it's also so new and hard for me to grasp.

So let's be honest: I, as an imperfect, sinful, fallen young man, struggle with lust. I think it's something we would all shuffle our feet and quietly admit to under direct questioning. Lust is a horrible, nasty thing that poisons the soul and corrupts the mind. It weakens the Armor of God from the inside out. The only way to get rid of it is to let Someone else take it from you. You can try by yourself, like both the man in this story and Eustace Scrubb, but until you give it up, all you can do is make yourself feel better for a while. And it hurts to give it up. It hurts bad.

My problem is that, in this story, I wanted the Bright One to grab that stupid lizard, hurl it to the ground, stomp on it a couple times, maybe give it a good punt, and then watch as it popped out of existence. But no, it turned into a friggin sweet golden Stallion.

It blows my mind, but I guess it's true that God can turn our "poor, weak, whimpering, whispering" lust into the "richness and energy of desire which will arise when lust has been killed." Guess I'll just have to keep trying to wrap my mind around that idea...

Wonderful.

No comments: