Sunday, November 9, 2008

Till we have understanding...

There is something about "Till We Have Faces" that everyone can relate to. I think Lewis does a great job of not only retelling the tale of Psyche but of capturing the various pains that the human heart can feel. You do not have to be a hideous person to be able to identify with the hurt and confusion that Orual is going through. In the later part of the book when Orual begins to realize that she was mistaken about how she felt towards Psyche and Cupid, I realized that I myself have had some experiences like this. Experiences that have showed me how mistaken and confused I was about a certain thing and that confusion led me to create erroneous beliefs in my head. Its like realizing the motivation behind why you do something for the first time. Where as before you thought something to be a certain way and when you realize what your true motivations were, its a deeply shameful and humbling experience. I wasnt really sure what to think about this book because so much of our material has included christian theology. I have always had a fascination with Greek myth so that motivated me to read this book. I was taken by surprise by how well Lewis captured the pain of the human heart, like I said before. It really helped me to realize that even though we are all different people we are bonded together by our experiences in life. And some of these experiences, however painful or wonderful they may be, there is a common thread about them and this thread helps bring us together. This book was a rewarding read for me in that way!

No comments: