Saturday, November 15, 2008

Substitution....

I must admit that I have always been a little perplexed at the idea of carrying each other’s burdens. I have assumed that when we are directed to not worry about tomorrow and lay our burdens on Christ it is to clear away worldly distractions and stresses. This though does not seem to fit with Galatians 6:2 and Charles’ Williams interpretation of it. Or maybe it does, and I am just unaware of this.
I do not mean to seem harsh in saying I do not understand why we carry each other’s burdens. I realize that it is important to enter into a person’s suffering and come alongside them, etc…but, isn’t it arrogant to think that we can be a substitution for their burdens? For instance, as we discussed in class, when Stanhope takes on the burden of Pauline, what is it that he actually does? Merely imagining what it is like to be in her situation is kind and empathetic but, I don’t think would actually free her from her fear. And any instance in which Stanhope then actually bears the full burden of her fear and problem for her seems to be placing him within the same realm as Christ. So what does Stanhope’s actions really do except give Pauline a temporary and imagined sense of security?
Alright, enough ranting. I think my main point here is that there needs to be a distinction between bearing each others burdens and bearing with someone in love. It is impossible for any human being to act as a substitution for another human being - if that were so, there really would not be a need for Christ’s sacrifice on the cross (as that is the true substitution). However, we are called to be in community and bear each other’s burdens in love. I think an example of what I am getting at could be the body metaphor used by Paul. If the hand of the body gets injured the arm may not be able to be a substitution for it - the arm may not become the hand. However, it may offer tremendous and irreplaceable support for the hand that, without which, the hand may not have been able to properly heal. It can bear with the hand but it can not bear for the hand.

No comments: