Thursday, November 13, 2008

A hazardous waste spill?.....Psych(e)!

While reading this novel, I can see why Lewis stuggled with the recreation of this myth before writing Till We Have Faces. It is an interesting myth that I hadn't read or heard of before, and Lewis succeeds in writing a complex story with it. I followed the story up until the end, where I started to confuse reality with Orual's visions. The only conclusion I've really drawn is that to Orual, her visions are reality, but to everyone else they are just visions. And what about the whole loving/eating thing? I see what Amanda is saying about the two both fulfilling needs and all that, but I still have a hard time putting them on the same level. And Orual, is she really loving Psyche? She thinks she is, but love isn't about getting your own way, its about seeing the other person happy. Psyche was happy, but Orual was selfish and ruined it for her. Orual didn't exactly lead the most joyful life after that, and she got what was coming for her in the end anyway. And I'm also curious as to why Lewis changed the myth by having only one sister instead of two, and how Orual convinced her to use the lamp. I feel like this post is all over, just a bunch of my ramblings, but I hope it could be followed somehow. I guess I just still have some questions about the book, and now we've moved on to an even more complex book. Great...

No comments: