Friday, October 3, 2008

Good Enough. Is It Ever Good Enough?

Today in class, we touched on a subject that I didn't think would spark so much conflict. I've debated with more than my fair share of Catholics, enough to make anyone pretty passionate about faith vs. works.
I don't believe that God makes us "better." What is "better?" "Better" implies a comparison, as in, "I'm better than Saddam Hussein, so I'm going to Heaven." Better than our former selves? We addressed it just today that it's an illusion that wrongdoing, evil, sin, whatever, goes away with time. Better after we've been forgiven? That's what I'm talkin about, but not for the reasons that most people see.
Here's a popular subconscious thought: "After God forgives me, He'll make me better than I was so I can get into Heaven." Why do Christians do "good works?" Why are we "moral?" It's cause and effect, but I think most people have them backwards.
So here's what I picked up from class: Most people think, Cause: God made me a "better" person. Effect: I get into Heaven.
Here's what I think: Cause: God forgave me and purchased (by Jesus' blood) a place for me in Heaven. Effect: I'm going to live my life as a thank you for that purchase. I want everything I do to point to God and please Him because, well, He bought me. That, I believe, is why Christians should do good works.

No comments: