Thursday, October 16, 2008

Trails of thought.....

When reading A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis I often felt like I was having a conversation with him. It is apparent that his writings here are much more trials of thoughts in a journal (or something like it) than the well thought out arguments he lays in other books. I felt like there are many times when Lewis is actively arguing with himself through the book and yet, he brings up some very interesting points.

“Talk to me about the truth of religion and I will listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I’ll listen submissively. But don’t come talking to me about the consolation of religion or I shall suspect that you don’t understand.”

On first read, I really resonated with Lewis in this sentiment. I think it is commonplace for someone experiencing great loss to become annoyed and frustrated with all the religious consolations thrust upon them -- even from the most well meaning people. Lewis, however, not only expresses frustrations with these sort of sentiments but takes it to another, somewhat depressing, level. I am still not sure what to make of his arguments; are they merely a ranting of a sorrowed man or is there some sort of deeper truth in them?

Lewis seems to argue that it is ignorant and unbiblical to believe of any sort of reunion of souls in heaven and that a relationship separated by death is separated forever. He also says that the idea of death being a release from pain and a sudden movement from earthly disease to heavenly healing could quite possibly be unsubstantiated. Some of Lewis arguments here seem to be persuasive and more than just the ravings of a grieved person. I am quite unsure of what to think of these assertions, however, as they seem to contradict a lot of beliefs of heaven I hold dear. The presence of pain and suffering in heaven is a difficult concept.

No comments: