Thursday, October 16, 2008

"We are very shy nowadays of even mentioning heaven. We are afraid of the jeer about 'pie in the sky', and of being told that we are trying to 'escape' from the duty of making a happy world here and now into dreams of a happy world elsewhere." (Problem of Pain, 148-9)

As I read the chapter on Heaven, I began to think a little more about why we are so quiet when it comes to heaven, yet we constantly throw around this idea of hell. Honestly, everytime I here the word "hell" I immediately picture the scenes from the movie Little Nicky, which I am ashamed to say I have seen all of. Hell has become this place that everyone seems to know about, everyone can describe it, they almost even know what it feels like to be there. I can say I am glad heaven hasn't become as commercialized as hell, but I do wonder why. Heaven is something that Christians look forward to, because it is going to be this great thing, but we don't really spread the goodness of heaven like we do the terribleness of hell. 

I like what Lewis gets at though when he talks about feeling something, and then looking at your friend who is experiencing the same thing but feeling something completely different. I think maybe that is what heaven will be like. It will be good for everyone, but my heaven might be a little different than your heaven. Everyone is different, every soul is different, but we all fit together kind of like a puzzle. Lewis writes, "Your place in heaven will seem to be made for you and you alone, because you were made for it - made for it stitch by stitch as a glove is made for a hand." (152). That is a cool statement, one that makes me feel even better about my place in eternity.

No comments: