Friday, October 3, 2008

In class today we discussed whether or not it is possible to become more lovable, or if it is possible for God to love us more.
If I have a friend that, for one reason or another, is difficult to love, is it possible for me to ever love them more? Would it be possible to love them less? In my own experiences, I would say yes, as I have often grown to love some person more than before. There are many reasons for this; either they changed, or I changed, or I just got to know them better and therefore learned to love them better. I am, however, finite and my ability to love waivers.
If we place our own experiences and abilities to love on the love of God, are we not limiting the infinite God? To say that God is able to love someone more than before seems, to me, to limit the power of God's love. If we really beleive that God is a God that truly loves all people where they are at then we must believe that God loves them wholly, as they are, as he is. God's love is pure, whole, and vastly different than our own. When we speak in our own terms of love we understand how our own feelings may fluctuate. But the love of God is not like ours, it is infinite and unwaivering, God does not love more or less.

No comments: