Friday, October 31, 2008

We're just Cruisin' Along...

"To rise above it when it is fully satisfied and as little impeded as earthly conditions allow- to see that we must rise when all seems so well already- this may require a subtler conversation and a more delicate insight" (p136).
When Lewis says this, he is talking about the difficulty of rising above our natural loves...rising to charity; I think that his point is extremely true. When Jesus talks about the difficulty of the rich entering into Heaven He may not have been talking purely in the literal sense- perhaps what he means by rich is content. I think, at least in my own experiences, that it is hard to ask for help when everything is going alright. Lewis also points out that "frets and rubs" are not only beneficial, but also necessary. I certainly do agree with this- when I have a bad day, I seem to think about the "deeper issues" much more readily than when I am just cruisin' along.

No comments: