Thursday, October 2, 2008

Is God Selfish?

We talked in class the other day about whether or not we though God was selfish. I think, in some ways, yes He is. Exodus 20:3 and Deuteronomy 5:7 both say "You shall have no other gods before me." If I stood up in chapel tomorrow and said, "You shall have no other Betsys before me." I think people would assume I'm pretty full of myself, and I would never be taken seriously again. Over and over we find passages of God telling us to worship no other gods or idols, to destroy idols, to only follow Him. So, uh yeah, I'd say He's pretty selfish.

But is He so selfish that He hurts us when we disobey? I don't know if you would call that being selfish. If I rub my puppy's nose in the carpet after he pees inside for the 30th time, I'm not punishing him because I am selfish, I'm punishing him so he will learn not to do it again. Maybe that is what God could be getting at. Now, do I really think God allows huge natural disasters to happen because we've been doing something wrong? No, but I also will never claim to understand God well enough to be able to say why He does that. 

So as it is with many philosophical ideas, there isn't really a yes or no answer. Is God selfish? Yes...No...Maybe?

No comments: