Thursday, October 30, 2008

That's What He Said.

When I was reading the chapter on Eros, I basically had to shout out an "Amen!" to the part where Lewis talks about dirty jokes. Is anyone else with me on this? Please don't think my mind is in the gutter because it isn't, but where would our good friend Michael Scott (Dunder Mifflin, Scranton) be without "That's what she said." jokes? It seems like so often sex is a taboo subject, but it exists just like everything else exists, so why not joke about it. I believe that there is definitely a line that is often crossed, but there can be good dirty jokes. Lewis writes, "Banish play and laughter from the bed of love and you may let in a false goddess." Eros is a serious thing, but Venus? Maybe not so much. For so long I've been scared to think a slightly innapropriate joke is funny, especially while living in a conservative community like northwest Iowa. But now that I read this chapter, I feel much better about it. I guess I can always give the argument that if C.S. Lewis says its an ok thing, then it must be.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Excellent! :) I really appreciate your comment! I didn't think about that when reading Lewis' stuff, but now that you mention it, I love it! Thanks!

rascal said...

punny title