Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Beautifully Broken

Within The Great Divorce I found many ideas that I have been thinking on. One major thought was the idea that we need to first become broken before we can truely begin to see the kingdom of God. As the main character is travling through the Shadow of Life he encounters other Ghosts with their Solids. The Solids are often trying to persuade to give themselves up so that they may walk with them to Heaven. However, the idea of giving yourself up is a difficult process, which one must somehow achieve in hopes to live. But how does one do that? I believe that to truly change ourselves we must first become broken. The self that we are now, but first develop the need to change and one of the ways to do that is to be so overcome with life, that we can't handle our own burdens. Only then will we search out someone to help us. Only then can we change for the better. There are times, I know, when change may come about where we don't have to be destroyed in which to change, but there are people that are too stubborn to change otherwise. "When your own heart's been broken it will be time for you to think of talking." I find that sentence to be hold some truth. We must first be broken before we can begin to believe and speak of the truth. When we break a little of us must be given up in efforts to change and improve.

I know that some of this is confusing, I'm wondering what others think. So, yeah, go with it.

1 comment:

cindyred60 said...

Thanks Eugene. Not confusing to me, that totally resounates with me. You sound like Brother Lawrence, "I will ever be thus, unless You change me."
Or John the Baptist, "I must decrease and He must increase," I love it and I needed your words.