Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"I Believe in a God of Love"

"Then some natural feelings are really better than others-I mean, are a better starting-point for the real thing?"
"Better and worse. There's something in natural affection which will lead it on to eternal love more easily than natural appetite could be led on. But there's also something in it which makes it easier to stop at the natural level and mistake it for the heavenly."

This little blip of conversation between George and 'the writer' contains such simple knowledge...but also incredibly profound. The fact that our 'natural feelings' can be used in such a good way- pointing us towards eternal love- is great; however, these feelings might just as easily be used to gain contentment. So, what determines how these feelings are practiced? This question is answered a couple of pages later.
"Everything else [not God] is good when it looks to Him and bad when it turns from Him."
I have found this to be a theme throughout Lewis's books. Though this statement seems extremely obvious- in real life it's not that easy. What is looking at God? What is turning from Him? Of course there are black and white areas...but what about the grey ones? How can we judge these aspects of life?
In an earlier reading (I'm not sure if it was this book or a previous one) it was said that one's fate is determined when they say to God, "Thy will be done" or when God says to them, "thy will be done". So...perhaps the difference between right and wrong comes down to who's will is being done. If this is true we should be judging all our actions on this standard.
When I actually think about applying this principle to my life, I shrink back from it. You see, I have lived my life being "ok" with not knowing certain things, claiming they are far too complex for me to wrap my mind around. However, if I apply this seemingly 'simple' idea to my belief system I find that I may have to make some hard choices...many that people may scorn, or call judgemental. I think this is why many people choose to ignore the tougher issues, we believe in a God of love- who understands and forgives ignorance. Perhaps we should take God a little more seriously? I think so.

No comments: