Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Very Present Darkness

While one of my primary contentions with some authors is their depersonalization of evil, Lewis exposes darkness as a living reality. His account of Screwtape and Wormwood puts flesh upon Ephesians 6:12: “…we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” Again unlike authors who would explain evil by an evolutionary process or other reasoning, Lewis traces the origin of evil to Lucifer’s rebellion against God and suggests that in His omnipotent sovereignty, God foresaw the pain that humans would cost Him but loved them enough to begin the story anyway.

Although Lewis leaves many questions unanswered in his portrayal of demonic forces, I agree with his portrait of a living, breathing evil. While this may seem like a predictably Christian response to one of Christianity’s greatest authors, Lewis creates an image that allows me to better grapple with the evil I see in the world. Rather than thinking of evil as a meaninglessly corrupted form of original creation or solely as a means to greater intimacy with God, the problem of evil makes more sense when I view it as a living force temporarily operating under the umbrella of God’s sovereignty. Moreover, I find that Lewis’ portrayal of an active evil largely agrees with the Biblical depiction of darkness. As John 10:10 delineates, “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” When I survey the splay of evil in the world today, I see an enemy at large – thieving, raping, destroying. Though I am deeply troubled by evil’s current reign, I believe it operates on a temporary condition of divine allowance, and somehow, this allowance will ultimately be used for the good and glory of God’s purpose.

Despite all the above, my general agreement with Lewis does not ameliorate my contentions with him. For example, the Letters suggest that evil has unrestricted access to and nearly omniscient knowledge of the human heart and mind. While “the Enemy” has tactics that leave demons bewildered or paralyzed, darkness actively exploits its knowledge of humans in temptation. Does God truly allow evil this much knowledge? Moreover, what does Lewis’ argument imply of human responsibility if all bad action and thought can be traced to demonic influence? To what extent is the free will free? Furthermore, Lewis raises questions for me about how God ministers to individuals in temptation. Where is the divine line between testing and trial? How does this reflect upon God’s justice? These are several of many wonderings that I am left to ponder at Screwtape’s final signature, but ultimately, Lewis’ image of a very present darkness is too compelling for me to deny.

No comments: