Friday, December 12, 2008

Final Thoughts

Hello! After we talked about everyone's favorite book in class, I thought I'd see what you all learned from the books. So here's the question I pose: what new thought or idea, philosophy or theology, did you guys find the most intriguing, different, wrong, etc.?

And for my blog, I thought I'd post mine. The most interesting new theological perspective for me was the one shown in The Great Divorce about who goes to Heaven and Hell and the idea that maybe after death comes, there are still chances. I had always been brought up with the idea that you get saved and go to Heaven or you don't and go to Hell. But then I always wrestled with the problems of losing salvation or people who don't hear it, etc. So I fell in love with Lewis' view portrayed in that book because it allows for Jesus' teachings and life to become the center again. Now, regardless of the technicalities, each person either lives the way God wants or doesn't, either focuses on God or others, or on his/herself. And that makes more sense when you start to think about all those "what if" scenarios. What if there's some remote tribe that never gets to hear the Gospel? What if a baby dies? What if someone commits suicide? What if someone is wrong about certain theologies, but gets the stuff most important to God right? And on and on...

So that was my favorite new idea. How about you?

No comments: