Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lewis In General...

Perhaps this is too great an undertaking. Probably, this is not an original idea, considering the end of the class is at hand. I'd like to share my feelings about this semester's experience.

Firstly, Thank you. All of you have been outstanding dialogue partners about the myriad ideas in the works of Lewis and other Inklings. I'm sorry if ever you have felt that I speak too much...I feel like that some days.

Secondly, I think I started this class out a little overwhelmed. Lewis is so great a thinker and so beautiful a writer that I was scared of the task at hand. What do I have to say on any of these subjects? How can I even attempt to disagree with this genius?
Once I made the attempt, however, Lewis's genius became more of a kinship. I felt as though he was more of my brother in Christ, always encouraging me to see more clearly the issues that really matter. I'll never think the same way about basic things like community and salvation.

That being said, I also have learned how to disagree with someone with far more clout than I. I greatly respect Lewis's viewpoints that are somewhat inclusivist, yet my Reformed roots are a little too strong to assimilate them.

So, thank you for helping me learn so much this semester. I guarantee that I will continue to learn more and more in this realm. Every time I pick up a book by Lewis, I will remember eating my box lunch in class, laughing over the things Victoria said, and debating the finer points of Lewis's philosophy.

No comments: