Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tragedians and treasures.

Of all the different ways that the characters in The Great Divorce disappear, I think the most interesting to me was Frank and the Tragedian. Frank was loved by the most blessed woman, but he doesn't speak for himself, instead he lets this Tragedian speak for him. Frank begins to shrink, and the Tragedian stays the same size as he talks to his wife. Frank shrinks until all that's left is the Tragedian, and the blessed woman realizes she has been speaking to him all along. "I cannot love a lie." said the Lady. "I cannot love the thing which is not. I am in Love, and out of it I will not go." Then the Tragedian vanishes. The blessed woman was so in love with God that it didn't matter that she hadn't really known Frank. Through Frank's shrinking, the narrator realizes that the ghosts and everyone in the grey town are nothing compared to the vastness of Heaven. We are nothing compared to the vastness of Heaven. What we think is so important on earth, will be obsolete when we enter Heaven. It reminds me of Matthew 6:19, the treasures on earth vs. treasures in Heaven verse (I'm not going into it, I think you all probably know the verse I'm referring to). It makes all this stuff I have seem worthless when compared to the treasures in Heaven I'm going to recieve, treasures I can't even imagine yet.

No comments: