Friday, December 12, 2008

Screwtape....

I have come to find myself, at numerous points throughout this class, walking a very interesting line. Part of me whole-heartily agrees with some Lewisian concept and thinks, “yes, finally!” while at the same time another part if arguing against the idea. For instance, the concept of Hell being chosen - something that begins on earth as someone turns away from God and desires self. Yes, I believe I resonate with this much more than I do with the idea of a fire-hole-like after life. However, I wonder, if Hell can be chosen by loving self and Heaven chosen by denying self, how powerful is the grace and salvation offered by God in this view?
This happened to me again as I was reading the Screwtape Letters. Though it may not at all be one of Lewis’ main concerns in writing the book - and he may have not thought much about it at all - I am wondering what is view of spiritual warfare is. I am not sure how everyone else views this matter but, I am not opposed to thinking that there is spiritual warfare. I think it is often seen in the Bible and have no reason to think it has not continued to present day. This I am in agreement with. However, there are times in the book where Lewis seems to be very dualistic. This does not settle well with me. There were moments when, it seemed, that the demons were very much battling God for a human soul, and it was not for certain which way the ball would fall. Now, I understand that we are supposed to take Screwtape for a liar in some points (though we are not directed as to where) and that we are only hearing it from one viewpoint - which might be very skewed. Still, I wonder what view Lewis was trying to portray. Anyone wish to weigh in?

No comments: