Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Convincing Arguments

When I was reading The Great Divorce I often seemed to be putting myself in the place of the ghosts and the spirits. I would think of how I might argue against both the ghosts and the spirits. Many times I would think that the spirits weren’t quite going against there arguments quite right. Some of the things they would say to the ghosts I thought would only aggravate them, and didn’t seem to be very helpful. It began to seem to me that the ghosts and spirits were having trouble relating to the other. They seemed to have completely different points of view. The ghosts’ arguments weren’t perfect either. They may have all had a little bit of a good argument at first, but then it usually degenerated into a horrible terrible thing. That kind of fits with the whole mother’s love gone wrong and man’s desire going bad to lust. The ghosts seemed to take what was good and then ruin it somehow. The spirits took what was perfect and tried to explain it to someone that wasn’t perfect. The explanation I thought of for this problem was that it is like trying to understand God’s timelessness. You can’t completely understand the perfect arguments unless you’re perfect just like you can’t understand timelessness until we ourselves become timeless.

No comments: