Saturday, December 13, 2008

Screwtape in general . . .

I have been struggling for a while now, trying to find something to blog about over Screwtape. I have officially given up trying - there is no "one specific moment" in the entire book that I wish to pull out and study. So instead, I have decided to blog about the book in general.

I had never read Screwtape before this class. At first, I was a bit confused. (This will give away my blonde-ness . . .) I neglected to read the back of the book for a synopsis, and combined with no prior knowledge of this book, it made me think that Lewis had an uncle named Screwtape and that this book was going to be a type of correspondence series between Lewis and his uncle. Understandably, I thought at the beginning that I was getting a whole new side of Lewis. Then I read the back cover. :) That changed everything!

I was able to really get into my reading once I was reading it from the correct perspective. The imagery in this book is amazing! Chapter after chapter, I could picture everything Lewis was trying to portray.

I especially enjoyed the imagery of God and Satan being in battle over "my" (used as a general term here) soul. I had always thought of temptations being directly invented by Satan. This newfound knowledge of temptations being deviations of something God created as good has really changed my views. Isn't it interesting what Satan can use to bring us away from God? Something such as unselfishness can be twisted and made into a characteristic to be used to Satan's advantage!

I just really enjoyed this entire novel and the class discussions that went with it. I may not have talked much (ok, at all) in class, but I really enjoyed being there and listening to what the rest of you had to say about it.

No comments: