Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Same Old Thing

When I was reading The Screwtape Letters, I came across something that really caught my attention. It was in letter 25 where Screwtape was advising Wormwood to make his human afraid of the “Same Old Thing.” It caught my attention because my roommates had discussed moving some things around in our room merely for the sake of changing things up. This isn’t bad of course but it just caught my attention to this passage and made me think of how true it was that most people do have this horror of the same old thing. In my psychology class this was used to partially explain the cause of mid-life crises. Often people assume that if something isn’t changing or adapting it has grown stagnant. This seems to be the idea that Screwtape wants to foster. I think that what Lewis was getting at with this letter is that there are some things in this life that shouldn’t change. I’m thinking perhaps a little consistency is a good thing, especially when dealing with religion. You don’t want to go changing things just because it’s been consistent and it's hard to follow a religion that changes its beliefs at the drop of a dime.

No comments: